Aged people require more attention and care than younger individuals. They become even more demanding when it comes to medical treatments. For this reason, many companies today are offering home health care services for seniors who desire to get medical care in a familiar environment, such as the home. Home health care services cover a wide range of services that can be very beneficial not just to the patient but to his or her family as well.
Taking care of ill and aged patients is a lot of work. Even nurses in hospitals need help with caring for such individuals. Home health care is highly advisable for patients who are in the recovering process after hospital care. This kind of medical care is often short-term with the objective of treating the patient after a set period of time. Licensed practical nurses and other medical professionals are the people who provide home health care.
The services offered in home health care may include skilled nursing, care giving, and medical therapies such as speech therapy, and most occupational and physical therapies. Home health care providers are not just limited to providing medical care for the patient but also help them with daily activities such as bathing, eating, cooking, and dressing. Other monitoring tasks may be offered depending on the home healthcare company. These programs are routinely done in a set period of time mostly prescribed by the physician but there are families that hire private nurses who work under their supervision.
Making sure that quality care is being provided
If you are planning on getting home healthcare service, you must determine if the company can satisfy your demands through the following questions:
• How long has the company been serving the community?
• Is the home health care service provider an approved Medicare provider?
• Is the quality and level of care certified by a national accrediting body such as the Joint Commission for the Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations?
• Does the home health care provider have a current license to practice?
• Does the company offer seniors a “Patients’ Bill of Rights” that describes the rights and responsibilities of both the company and the senior being cared for?
• Does the home health care service provider have a nursing supervisor available to provide on-call assistance 24-hours a day?
• What are the procedures for resolving concerns when they occur?
• Is financial assistance available to pay for services offered by the medical care provider?
• How are company caregivers trained and hired and will the company provide a list of references for its caregivers?
If you want to acquire home healthcare without going through an agency, you can directly hire a licensed nurse who specializes in in-home treatment. However, you must be extra careful in hiring the right person. You will need to screen the person thoroughly, such as doing a background check, in order to make sure that your ailing loved one is in good hands. A certified home health care provider should be patient and compassionate to elderly people and vulnerable patients.