For some people, any mention of red meat gets easily associated to eating unhealthily. The media has even portrayed chicken meat to be unhealthy and putting at risk the betterment of the environment. All of these misconceptions might have been caused by the introduction of non-meat, fish, and vegan diets that have all been considered as much healthier alternatives. And so, the end result is more people, most especially parents, cutting back on buying red meat and poultry. All these preconceived notions about meat have led people to be confused about which ones are facts and which ones are myths. Consumers, most especially, parents all just want one thing. And that is to give themselves and their families the best food choices for their health and well-being. Nevertheless, it is time to take a stand and correct the non-factual mindset that some or most people have about meat and poultry. This article will outline some crucial meat health facts that not a lot of people know about that you should know now.
1. The truth about iron in meat
• In order for one to get the same iron content in steak, huge amounts of spinach must be consumed.
• Specifically, for females to receive their daily recommended intake of 18 mg of iron, she can either consume 625 grams of cooked beef, 300 grams of cooked bovine liver, or 2.4 kg of spinach. You choose!
• In addition, in terms of absorption, iron found in meat is easily absorbed in the body in comparison to iron found in vegetables. This is because iron found in vegetables is attached to the fibers that will hinder its easy absorption into the body.
2. Improve your brain function with meat
• According to recent studies, not having enough meat micronutrients in the body has been associated with autism, dementia, depression, and low IQ.
• Zinc content found in meat has been shown to enhance memory and learning.
• Vitamin B12 found in meat also protects sheaths around the nerves.
3. Let meat boost your immunity
• Zinc is a well-known antioxidant that is rich in meat.
• By consuming meat, antibodies are increased in the body that will help fight off free radicals that increase the person to suffer from chronic health conditions.
4. Improve your muscle growth
• Protein found in meat has been shown to repair and build body tissues since time immemorial.
• Muscles are made a great deal of protein. This is why for athletes to build their muscle strength effectively, they must increase their daily consumption of meat protein.
• For muscle growth and repair, zinc and protein found in meat are crucial components.
5. Meat as your ultimate source of protein
• Meat is rich of the nine essential amino acids that your body needs but cannot make on its own.
• These essential nine amino acids include valine, threonine, tryptophan, phenylalanine, methionine, lysine, isoleucine, leucine, and histidine.
• Meat is rich of all these nine amino acids that is why meat is your ultimate source of protein.
6. Maintain a healthy heart with meat
• Your nervous system can function well with the help of B vitamins found in meat that help in the production of red blood cells and hormones.
• Aside from the B vitamins found in meat that are good for your heart, you also have pantothenic acid, biotin, thiamine, folic acid, and niacin.